1 (edited by josh_lane_88 2019-01-11 20:56:50)

Topic: Beholder-born Race

Beholderborn
A soldier watches as his platoon and fellow soldiers are wiped out by waves of flaming arrows on a battlefield. He screams in rage and changes into a monster of terrifying power as he blasts the enemy position with a death ray.

A paladin lifts his shield in defense of the innocent as zombies batter him. He rises into the air and screams with the power of an ancient curse. He disintegrates row and row of undead with a blast of radiant energy from his eyes. The innocent gaze on in wondrous fear.

A thief exits a fortress vault with a bag full of gold and gems. He petrifies the guards where they stand as he strolls out of the vault.

Physical Description
The beholderborn are an aberrant race that, on the surface, appear to be normal humans. However, in moments of extreme emotional stress, with significant practice, or at the mention of a word of power, they can morph into beholder like creatures. In their beholder form their body's bloat, their hair and scalp become eye-stalks (much like a gorgon) and their skin becomes bumpy, oily and oddly colored. Finally, their eyes merge together into a large central eye that glows gently with aberrant power. In this form, they float off the ground and fire energy from their now single eye and their many eye-stalks.

History
Long ago, a twisted and sinister beholder had spent his life learning vile necromancy and the secrets of the darkness and grew too powerful in the eyes of the gods. The god of order grew worried about his strength and cursed him to a human body. The beholder had become weaker, frailer, and unable to sustain his once-powerful magic. He was horrified, and after many days of mourning his power, he decided upon his fate: that he would continue his lineage by taking over a small town to begin his reign anew. However, he was set upon by the power of love and friendship, which shattered his xenophobic beliefs, and he grew to care for the people around him. He eventually integrated into society and mated with a woman that he had fallen in love with. The Beholder, as he went about his simple life, forgot more and more that he was ever a beholder or evil. With him consumed with goodness, the god was pleased. The first beholderborn died and his story and power dissolved away in the ruins of time. For each new generation from his lineage, beholder blood runs, allowing them to connect to their powerful abilities. The beholderborn often appear human, and may never know they are beholderborn, or even the story of their heritage, but through studying and some awakening event, they arise, and attune to their powerful abilities.

Society
Beholderborn roam the Material Plane, often not knowing the power they possess. Their improved intellect seems to be the only outward sign of their heritage. Those that are awoken to the power use it in varied ways. Their knowing that power has inherently evil roots makes them cautious about its use. Some who discover their powers may never use it, fearing it, while others may revel in their new found abilities.

d6    Awakening Event
1    My village was attacked by an enemy, and I awoke during a rage-filled outburst. (Good)
2    An unknown voice spoke to me in the night and whispered the dark secrets of my power. (Evil)
3    I was gravely injured in an accident while I was alone, and the pain awakened my power. (Neutral)
4    While adventuring I came into the presence of an artifact, that when picked up, awoke my power. (Neutral)
5    While at a tavern, I connect with another beholderborn, and he taught me of the power I possessed. (Neutral)
6    After I had committed murder, the blood seeped into my hands and awakened my power. (Chaotic)
Beholderborn Names
Although most beholderborn keep their natural born human names, in some cases, an awakened Beholderborn will take on a natural beholder name.

Male: Quaervaxthanus, Thaluul, Manxam, Xaejil, Bairixis, Chelm, Irv, Eddalx, Nagish, Xeo, Ralakor

Female: Vaxall, Xavlal, Xaejil, Shatevar, Orox, Zalshox, Famax, Khoa

Beholderborn Traits
A race of humanoids descended from the cursed Beholders.
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2 and your Charisma score increases by 1.
Age. A beholderborn matures at the same rate as humans do and live up to 130 years of age.
Alignment. Often of a neutral alignment, beholderborn are generally wizards and sorcerers, but some have more extreme tendencies.
Size. Beholderborn vary in weight and height in the same way humans do. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Aberrant Nature. Your creature type is considered to be both aberration and humanoid.
Awakened Beholderborn. Speak to your Dungeon Master whether you have awakened before your adventure starts or if you will at some point during your adventure gaining the traits listed in Awakened Beholderborn.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Common, and one language of your choice.
Awakened Beholderborn
Beholder Form. As a bonus action, a beholderborn can switch its form to resemble a beholder. Its eyes become one, their body bloats in size, their teeth sharpen to a point, with various eyestalks protruding from their significantly larger head. While in this form, a beholderborn has disadvantage on all Charisma based skill checks except Intimidation and gains the following racial traits: This effect ends if a beholderborn falls unconscious or if they end it as an action.
Hover. While in beholder form, you hover a few feet off the ground, making you immune to being knocked prone.
Beholder Eye. While in beholder form, you can draw out the power of the beholders most well-known weapon, its eye beam. Roll a d6 and target a creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The DC for this saving throw is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.
Aberrant Langauge. Once awakened, you find you have the natural ability to speak Deep Speech, the language of aberrant creatures.
d6    Eye Ray Table
1    Disintegration Ray. You fire a blast of destructive energy. Make a ranged spell attack roll dealing 1d10 force damage on a successful hit. If a creatures hit points are reduced to 0 by this attack, the creature is disintegrated. A disintegrated creature and everything it is wearing and carrying, except magic items, are reduced to a pile of fine gray dust. This abilities damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
2    Fear Ray. You awaken the sense of mortality in one creature you can see within range. A construct or an undead is immune to this effect. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened of you for 1 minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
3    Petrification Ray. You make eye contact with a creature forcing the target within range to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save the creature's speed is reduced to 0 and its legs, if any, have turned to stone for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
4    Telekinetic Ray. You can mentally hold a creature in place. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save the creature is restrained and using a bonus action you may move them up to 30 feet in any direction. The effect ends at the end of your next turn.
5    Paralyzing Ray. You fire a bolt of lightning from your eye, the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save the target is paralyzed. The effect ends at the end of your next turn.
6    You may pick an eye ray of your choice.
Random Height and Weight
Base
Height    Height
Modifier*    Base
Weight    Weight
Modifier**
4′ 8″    +2d10    110 lb.    × (2d4) lb.
*Height = base height + height modifier
**Weight = base weight + (height modifier × weight modifier)

Suggested Characteristics
When creating a    Beholderborn character, you can use the following table of traits, ideals, bonds and flaws to help flesh out your character. Use these tables in addition to or in place of your background's characteristics.

d8    Personality Trait
1    I Sometimes think that I am a flawed abomination.
2    I am always polite and respectful.
3    I can stare down a hell hound without twitching.
4    I frequently dream of Beholders and I am certain they're trying to manipulate me.
5    I eat like a pig and have bad manners.
6    Even though my history is twisted, I am willing to do good and what is right.
7    I help the people that help me-because few people are willing to come near me.
8    I feel more comfortable traveling alone than with others.
d6    Ideal
1    Although I am perfect as I am, I can always strive to be more. (Neutral)
2    Beholderborn are superior to other humanoids and one day will rule. (Evil)
3    Life is like the winds of fall, you must follow were it leads you. (Chaotic)
4    The path to power is through knowledge. (Neutral)
5    As powerful beings our job is to protect others. (Good)
6    Emotions must not cloud are sense of what is good or true. (Lawful)
d6    Bond
1    I miss the kinship of my identical twin, who disappeared years ago.
2    I owe a debt a cannot repay to the person that took pity and raised me.
3    No one else should have to endure the struggle and pain I've been through.
4    I idolize a hero from stories and measure my deeds against theirs.
5    Despite my best efforts, I am unreliable to my friends.
6    My acquaintances are all spying on me and one day I will destroy them.
d6    Flaw
1    I sometimes forget that others don't have access to my knowledge.
2    I frequently have terrifying dreams.
3    I usually ignore advice from my friends.
4    I am very quick to take offense.
5    I enjoy taunting my rivals and angering them.
6    My pride will probably lead to my destruction.

Post's attachments

Download: Attachment icon myraces (2).dd5 --- [Open in app] 15.72 kb, 287 downloads since 2019-01-11